Findings Summarized

This particular research project was rather challenging due to the amount of information available on the history of residential schools. There is so much information, and all of the aspects of the history are so important. It was hard to narrow down my interests, and what to include in my paper because I felt like I needed to include everything. I knew that I wanted to focus on how residential schools have impacted the lives on Indigenous people, and I felt that I was successful in achieving that goal.

I learnt a lot about residential schools and Indigenous culture during this project and for that I am very happy. I feel as if Indigenous history, language, and culture is not emphasized enough in our current education system, therefore it was nice to learn so much about the topic. The residential school system has clearly impacted the lives in Indigenous people in a negative way, and the effects can still be seen today. I hope that one day Indigenous education can be more present in Canadian classrooms and that the people who were living on this land first can be focused on rather than European history which so dominates in our education systems.